Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's day.

Our day started off right.

We got to church, late as usual. Dropped Brent off at the Sunday school - which he loves. And then sneaked  into the main part where we found granddad sitting by himself on his usual bench.
Joey didn't make it to the service. It was a bummer.
After listening to several long term parishioners describe their different points of view on Fatherhood (beginning stage, middle stage, empty nest stage and grand-fatherhood) I realized one GIANT thing in my own parenting as a mother.

I'm too damn impatient with Brent.

The little frustrations of the day - get to me and when he pulls a silly stunt like not listen to me I lose my cool. Doesn't mean I beat you severely kiddo. Just means I am much less amiable than my real self. (I can simply hear your uncles chuckle and say something about life long road rage, but I'm sure they were talking about some other mother of yours...)

Also lack of using 80/20 rule.

For instance: If I keep my comments to myself 80% of the time - Everyone listens and makes necessary changes that last 20%. It's true.

In other example - apparently if Microsoft fixes the top 20% of most reported bugs - 80% of other bugs resolve themselves. (They probably move to Mac).

So - more patience and less talky.

I also realized we spend WAY too much time watching tv with Brent.  Sure he knows almost as much as a first grader. But I won't stop Until he knows as much or MORE!

Because I come from a family of overachievers. Yes.

Much love to my kids for you both are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment